Wednesday, January 09, 2008

To Crock or not to Crock

I've owned a beautiful crock pot since I got married. Someone bought it for me...I can't remember who..

Since I've had it, I've used it once a year to make swedish meatballs at Christmas. Recently some of the ladies at work have been spewing about the wonderful meals they've lovingly made for their families in crockpots. They actually put the ingredients in the pot, turn it on and leave the house! This is unheard of! Leave a small electrical appliance that cooks food unattended....how could they?

So there you have it....my fear of leaving the damn thing plugged in and on in my house unattended is why I have never used it for it's actual purpose. I mean honestly...isn't that kind of like doing laundry and when you get the clothes in the dryer you leave the house! What if it catches fire! It just seems so wrong!

This is a new age, a new year...time to try new things and therefore I decided that I would be a brave girl and try using the crockpot and leave the house to go to work. It's not like it's really on all day with no one there...Hubby is there, he's sleeping but he's there and I'm sure if there was smoke and fire he would wake up!

On Sunday, I prepared all of the ingredients for stew and threw them in the crockpot. On Monday morning I awoke, turned on the crockpot and left for work. At work I stewed about the stew at home in the damn crockpot all day! When I got home that night I found the house still in one piece and a wonderful dinner all warm and toasty!

I love my crockpot! Today we are trying it again with curried chicken. I'll keep you posted!!

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

makes good chilie too

8:57 am  
Blogger MP said...

I agree..chili is awesome..but get this: Take a half a cow..some kind of good beef...rub it down with some olive oil and slit it on the fatty side and stick in some garlic.. Now put it in the crock pot, fat side up. Drizzle the top w/ some worchesterierrrrrrrrr sauce and maybe even some soy sauce..or if you don't like soy just some salt and pepper.. then stick two onions/halved around the side. THEN pour in water almost to almost cover the meat completely. Turn it on baby..and let her cook. I usually try for 6 hours..I start on medium and then go to low. Halfway through I poke it with a fork and let the juice get in..OR I throw in carrots and potatoes halfway.. When I stick the fork in and it falls apart as I lift it I know I'm done. I either shred or TRY to slick.. it's awesome on a hogie bun w/ some melted cheese and pickles.. OR just as a roast w/ potatoes and corn on the side. I think I'm going to have to make it this weekened...YUMMO!

12:07 pm  
Blogger Beware: Social Worker on the edge said...

It makes awesome pulled pork...yum, but I never use mine either. An option is to bring it to work ready to go and plug it in there....lol

Kate

Let me know about the curried chicken.

10:48 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home