Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Goodbye 2007

Today I asked my middle daughter and my husband to tell me what made their year a good year! They were very general at first and then I reminded them of all the wonderful things that happened to us this year!

Jennifer got her first real job teaching.
Aimee got to go to Australia to show the world of sleep what she's all about with good results.
Brianne has made real progress at school and is finally finding herself with great results because of hard work.
Rob and I got to go to Cuba for a wonderful vacation, we finished more renovations to the house and we celebrated our 9th year of marriage.

It has been a good year for our family!

I know that I take the small things for granted. The things that make me smile every day. My family, our pets, the people I work with that make me smile every day. These are small things in the grand scheme of things, but all of these small things make up the happiness of my life.

For some this year has not been so happy, or maybe it was until that fateful event that changed their everything. The event that is so unimaginably sad that there are no words for those that are living with the consequences.

My cousin's 12 year old little boy decided on Christmas Eve that he had nothing to be thankful for, nothing worth living for and he took his own little life by hanging himself in his bedroom closet. It came as a shock to the family, especially to his 13 year old sister that found him there when she went to get him to attend mass. This past Saturday they buried their little boy.

On Monday, amongst my friends in the bar, celebrating a friends birthday I cried when I got the email from my Mom. Not because I knew the boy that well, they live 800 miles away and I haven't been back up north to visit since my Grandmother passed away....I would say I didn't know him at all. In fact, I barely know my cousin because of the distance and we don't communicate. I get my news from Mom.

I cried because I can imagine the pain they must all be feeling. The confusion, the guilt and the great sorrow that all of the family are feeling, especially the 13 year old little girl that found her brother and was unable to change the result of his hasty action.

Their future Christmas' and every other day will be blemished with this sad moment forever.

For them and everyone that has experienced this or any other kind of deep sadness, my prayers and thoughts are with them.

New Year's Eve was a quiet time at our house, spent with close friends and family. We reminisced about the year that was passing and told each other our dreams for the future.

Today is a quiet one, everyone doing their own thing. Some are watching movies on the TV, some, like me, are finding quiet refuge in their laptops.

I hope that for you the past year has been a great one and the future holds only good health, great happiness and unending prosperity! Remember to love each other everyday!

Happy 2008!

3 Comments:

Blogger Colleen said...

Happy New Year to you my dear friend!!!
{{{{{hugs}}}}}

10:11 pm  
Blogger MP said...

Happy New Year to you and yours...
I'm very sorry for your family..That is horrible that a 12 year old could be so depressed..and I especially feel for his parents and sister.

9:51 am  
Blogger B said...

*hugs*

Happy New Year, and I'll think good thoughts for you and your family


<3 your American daughter

9:04 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home