Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Just the posts and nothing but the posts!!!

My frustration levels are mounting. The rise of bile from my tummy each morning as I survey my backyard and see our progress on the deck increases to the point where one day....when the contractor finally arrives I will probably toss my cookies right on to his big ole workboots!

So where were we the last time we spoke....oh yeah, it was a happy day and the sun was shining....
Fast forward to this morning.

Today, I have 8 cement posts in my backyard. No deck. No fence. Just posts.

Want to do a quick flashback and hear the story? If so...just keep reading..if not, stop for the love of all that is sacred!

Last Wednesday when I went to get my building permit that they had told me was ready, I was surprised by a lovely gentlemen that informed me that I required yet another type of permit and this one came along with a significant requirement in the form of a $200 fee, a $1,500 deposit and yet another 12-14 business days wait time. It was 4pm. I was caught off guard and just burst into tears....poor front desk man, watching this 45 year old woman blubbering at his desk must have given him nightmares for a week! By the time I had caught my breath, composed myself somewhat and was able to actually talk it was 4:30 and the Town's offices were closed for business...this was gonna be a miserable night!

When I got home that night, I called our town councilor and explained to him that I was confused by this whole permit process and I really couldn't understand why oh why hadn't they just said something in May when I applied for the building permit that I might require this Site Alteration permit because we were changing the grade of the land? I mean it was right there in the plans, removing grass replacing with rock, building the hot tub platform by raising the grade 20 inches in a 7x7 foot area. Had I known, I would have made the application the same day! I was actually beside myself! Our councilor agreed and said he would see what he could do the next morning. The other thing I noted upon reading the building permit was the steps that had to be inspected..the first inspection is due once the holes for the deck are dug (before the cement is poured!) Now, I have officially broken the law of building inspectors everywhere! AHHHHH! More tears followed for hours after that discovery! I'm probably the most honest numbskull out there...I mean really I now know why folks don't get a permit for a deck!



On Thursday morning prior to my meeting in the city, I went to the town offices to submit the application and make the necessary payments. When I walked into the offices the poor guy at the front desk just looked at me with fear all over his face that this crazy woman had returned to cry at his desk. I had to giggle a bit and soothe his fear. I told him everything was fine. I understood the requirement. I had come to make the application and pay to get the process rolling again. I apologized for soaking his stationary, creating the electrical hazard with the pool of tears so close to his desktop computer the previous day and he said he completely understood my frustration. He even said he was going to try and see what he could do to speed things up. Next stop, building permit office to break the news that I jumped the gun and had the posts done complete with cement....need some advice here gentlemen! We made an appointment for the building inspector to come out the next day. There I would have to explain to him how much of a building code moron I am!

On to my meeting...

When I returned to my office at noon after my meeting, I called home to see if there were any messages from the town councilor. He had called to let me know he was playing telephone tag with the person he intended to speak to but he still had hopes that he could speed the process.

At 4:00 my office phone rang...Hi, this is the Town calling to tell you your permit is ready for pick up! OMG somebody was definitely looking out for me! When I went in to get the actual permit the nice man behind the desk just smiled and after I jumped across the desk and laid a big smooch on him I thanked him profusely! (I didn't really smooch him, but I thought about it!!) He just smiled and said, enjoy your weekend ma'am, good luck with your deck!

The next morning the inspector came and I explained how I had moved way to fast in my excitement and I told him that we had honestly had been trying to do everything within the letter of the law and never had I thought this would be such a complicated process. He laughed at me and showed me his little appointment scheduler that said the following:

"very nice lady, needs advice"

He passed my posts for the inspection and told us he was going to leave the note on the file!

Aimee and I just laughed!

Anyway, that should have been a great funny story to tell the grandkids about but the damn saga continues and because of the possibility of having to wait for the permit my contractor cancelled delivery of the materials last week and moved on to start another job. I'm hoping I can do something to lure them back to me this week cause the hot tub is supposed to be going in on Friday!

Ah, the joys of renovating!!

In the meantime, last Wednesday night DD#1 and her man asked me to go with them and his parents to look at a house they were thinking of buying. We went and it was absolutely beautiful. They put in an offer, rec'd a counter offer from the seller and they are now the proud owners of a beautiful home that they will take possession of at the end of July provided the house passes the building inspection tonight. We've asked my Dad to be there during the home inspection so that Jen's interests are protected (and so my Mom can go and have a look at the house) We don't expect any problems there! I will post pictures of her new house at a later date (maybe I'll have pictures of my finished deck then, LOL)

So for now, that's all I got....
Have a bright sun shining day!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

VERY NICE LADY NEEDS ADVICE

I LOVE THAT!!

How frustrating..you are right, many people just say screw it and do it anyway. I have this overhang over my porch and I KNOW it wasn't inspected before hand..wish it was. It was done many many years ago. Now you know you will have a GOOD STURDY deck..

How exciting about the new house!

9:17 am  
Blogger Beware: Social Worker on the edge said...

I wish that I could magically build your deck so that the next morning you looked out your window, it would be tears of joy and excitment.
I hope this goes quickly from this point on.

DD1 is my new neighbour! Congrats and welcome to the hood.

9:22 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home