Thursday, January 24, 2008

Update.....

It's been a really busy week and I've not had a lot of time to update everyone on how things are going...so briefly here it is.

Monday I went for the other test the doctor wanted me to take to lock in the diagnosis. The test results pretty much sealed the deal. I saw her briefly that morning and she prescribed a drug called Metformin that I take in the morning with breakfast and in the evening with dinner. Along with taking the medication will come testing my blood each day at whatever intervals they suggest, changing my diet and exercise.

NONE of these things is that bad. I mean really, taking a couple of pills not difficult at all. Diet now that's a little more difficult. I've never had much willpower. The funny thing is I don't have a sweet tooth either. In all the research Aimee and I have done we've discovered there is something called the glycemic index....it's all about how carbs actually turn into sugars and we've found some really interesting facts. Carbs....I love carbs! They are my best friend and worst enemy!

Fun Facts:

Did you know that sweet potatoes are better for you than plain old baked potato- they are lower on the glycemic index, making them a low GI, which means good stuff for someone that has my problem! They make a very interesting french fry and the good thing is that because I can't really put vinegar on them I won't totally pig out on them!

A switch to a whole wheat or multi grain bread from white bread is another easy change and although I've never really given it much thought....multi grain bread is so much tastier than white bread!

Within the next week or so I will be spending some time at the diabetic clinic learning to prick myself (one of the more difficult things for me as I REALLY hate self inflicted pain!!) to test my blood sugars, spending time with the dietitian and learning to make these changes cause I really like the fact that I have for now...relatively healthy organs, good eye sight for an old gal and all my extremities!

See this is all positive. As my Mom said, "you've been given a few warnings now, don't ignore them.

The other positive thing is I'm going to start using the treadmill in the gym in the building where I work. For now I figure if I walk for 30-45 minutes everyday on that thing it will be more than I've been doing up till now and every little bit counts. I will start that on Monday.

We had pool finals for our 8 ball team and we WON!!! Yay! It makes me happy that we double qualified for Regionals! It proves that our team may not always finish in first place but we can beat out anybody if we put our minds to it! I'm convinced this is the year this team will enjoy VEGAS!!!

It's been a busy week and I need a nap! Have a wonderful day folks and we'll catch up again soon!!

3 Comments:

Blogger MP said...

I think that willpower isn't going to be as big of an issue as you think..I mean when it's about weight..it doesn't REALLY matter..yeah you would LIKE to lose weight..you are in control to do what you want..but when it really matters..when it is your health I think you just DO it..You will be like the diabetic Nike commercial!!
Just Do It..I know you can!

Congrats on the pool!!

9:14 am  
Blogger Beware: Social Worker on the edge said...

The golden rule if it's white it ain't right!

Good luck lovey...the met will help with weight loss too as your sugars stabilize.

HUGGS

9:44 am  
Blogger MP said...

you have been tagged for a meme

2:14 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home