Saturday, January 19, 2008

Under the Weather

Been feeling under the weather lately. A real feeling of listlessness, just want to sleep, lots of headaches....then the feeling thirsty all the time and the constant having to pee. It became quite apparent that a trip to the Doctor's was going to be needed.

I went last Monday and explained all my symptoms and she sent me for blood tests. Taking blood from me is never pleasant. I have very small veins and after many attempts even seasoned technicians have been forced to put a baby butterfly needle in my hand and squeeze the blood out of me that way. This last time was not really that different. Two technicians 4 attempts before they successfully got the blood to flow into their tubes for testing. I left with 4 new holes and bruises that would develop before I got home.
Anyway, it was good that I went as my suspicions were correct....my blood sugar test came back really abnormal. Apparently, the excessive weight that I'm carrying has complicated things into what may look like diabetes and my blood sugar was at 20.5. This is not good. I'm going for a fasting sugar test on Monday to see what that shows and likely I will be required to a) lose weight b) start monitoring my sugar levels and take pills for now to try and the levels to a more normal level of between 6-9. Abnormal enough that she'd like to follow it up with a fasting blood test. So tomorrow night I will stop eating and Monday morning I will go and submit myself to more puncture wounds.

Aimee and I went to take the Yorkie for her grooming today and our ritual is to go for brunch at the restaurant at the mall nearby where they serve all day breakfast. I had just received the message from the Doctor and my head was in another place. Aimee asked why if I suspected that something was wrong...didn't I go before. I didn't have an answer. I just looked at her and started to tear up. I couldn't answer...generally I feel like crap. My fibromyalgia has me in constant pain. It's especially bad in the winter. Sometimes it's all I can do to close my hand and make a fist in the morning and my last couple of years of back pain and nerve damage that leads to sciatic like shooting pains if I don't religiously take my medication have made me ignore the aches and pains. The sleepless nights, that even the CPAP machine that I use religiously, don't help and have given me something that I have been blaming most of the symptoms.

Honestly the answer is to lose the weight I'm carrying and this really scares me as my attempts to lose weight in the past have been totally unsuccessful. I've got to find it in me somewhere....my skinnier self is in here somewhere and she's really healthy. I know she is....if only I could find her!

I'm scared.

So...menu's have been planned and with the help of my family and friends I'll do it.

4 Comments:

Blogger Aimee said...

You will do it.

I will help.

Love you mama dukes!

11:46 am  
Blogger MP said...

You KNOW you can do it! It won't be a piece of cake (pun intended) but w/ all those people around you you will be fine..you'll have the whole house eating healthy!! Remember..any set backs or weight gain..don't worry about it..just start again. SMART decicisions..you have the internet in front of you which has tons of great recipes that work well for YOU..find them and use them!!
XOXOX

8:45 am  
Blogger Beware: Social Worker on the edge said...

Oh sweetie, I feel your pain. It is a horrific struggle to say the least. I am here for ya...if you need anything. I am sorry to hear about your health. ((((huggs)))))

9:20 am  
Blogger B said...

you can do it. i have faith in you, my canadian mom <3

7:59 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home