Friday, December 01, 2006

The Fuse Man Cometh....

So late last week, Daughter #1 was blowdrying her hair, heating her straightening iron and watching t.v in her room. I was ironing my clothes for work and watching t.v. in my room.....when suddenly

Everything shut down. No T.V, no iron, no blowdryer nothing.....

Dammit, we blew a fuse. This is the first time that this has ever happened to us in the morning. Generally we time our schedules pretty well but that morning we were all running behind and pushing the limits of our fuse box.

When we got home that night we realized all of the things that were hooked to that damn fuse. The powderroom light downstairs, the hallway light downstairs, the outside light downstairs, one plug in my room and two in Jenn's.

Simple you say...change the fuse. Well hubby was in a hurry to get to work, we had no good fuses in the house and peeing in the dark is not that challenging. This was Thursday afterall and I'm at pool. Not to worry!

Friday evening when everyone got home, Rob went and got fuses and we anxiously awaited victory as he tried to figure out what fuse belonged to what section of the house. The fuse box had been labeled with things such as workshop (we don't have one) bar light (don't have one of those either) family room (but it didn't shut off anything in the family room when we pulled it, must be someone else's family room?)It was a long arduous process and a challenge for the Fuse Man! He would take one fuse out, we would tell him what went out and the process continued until all the fuses had been checked, replaced and finally he came upstairs and admitted defeat. "I don't know, I've tried everything and still no lights, huh" he declared..."Nope, no lights, are you sure you tried them all?" I asked lovingly (okay, I admit it, I was giggling) Poor husband, he looked at me like I had just shot his dog when I asked him that! Anyway, he assured me that he had checked them all.

We progressed through the weekend with no lights or plugs working. On Monday, I called my electrician friend who proceeded to ask me the same thing, "Are you sure you checked them all?" I explained to him that I had not, but Robbie had and he swore that there was no use. "Well, that's bad news Lin, cause if I have to come in it could cost you anywhere from $500 to $20,000. if I find that your hole box is whacked and you need to replace that...then you might as well get rid of that 30 year old aluminum wiring you got going on over there!"

HOLY SHIT! I almost crapped my pants. Apparently, my electrician doesn't work for the same company as me and is not as financially handicapped either!

I passed this message on to husband and we decided that for now, we could pee in the dark, it didn't matter if the delivery guy ever found our house in the dark and we'd all blowdry our hair in Aimee's room. We ain't got that kind of cash!

On Tuesday night, I got frustrated because I couldn't find the toilet paper in the dark and decided that I was giving the fuses another chance and immediately after finding the TP and finishing my business, retreated to the basement.

ENTER THE FUSE WOMAN!

By process of elimination and much to my wondering eyes did appear, a kid at the top of the stairs with a CHEER! "The lights are on Mama Dukes! How'd you do that?

So for the time being, he shall be known only as Fuse Boy and I shall be known to all as FUSE WONDER WOMAN!

2 Comments:

Blogger Beware: Social Worker on the edge said...

nicely done. I feel that if you want something done right... call a woman!

Poor fuse man.

11:07 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahahaha nice!


who knew you were that handy!?!

2:03 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home