Monday, February 06, 2006

A night to remember!

I wish I had brought my camera! Everyone else had camera's there! I felt like a total ass, for the record I spent at least two hours debating the tactfulness of bringing my camera to a $700 a plate SuperGala evening! What a dumbass! Anyway this post will unfortunately be pictureless.

Saturday night was AWESOME! Here are the events of the evening:

4:15
Leave in pouring rain/snow, plastic bag over head to get to car to go get Marie in neighbouring city.

4:35
Marie in car, need gas....still raining...so much for the hair doo!

5:45
It was a spectacular evening from the moment you drove into the underground parking that was reserved for the patrons of the event.
Once in the Metro Toronto Convention Center there were Mimes to direct you to the event and waiters with Champagne to greet you as you walk in the room. Yes, Champagne..I considered taking up drinking just to look fancy walking around with the champagne flute! Passed on the Champagne but took a program of the available items for the silent auction.

Open booklet to page 1:
Item #1 xxxxxxx
Donor: Friend of the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of Canada
Value: Priceless
Opening Bid $4,000. Yes folks, opening bid $4000.

Uhhummm, Okay guess I'm gonna have to pass on that item. Man, this charity has some pretty schmoozy friends! Let's just say I didn't place any silent bids on anything. I considered putting my name down on one item just to say I had but with my luck...no one else would bid and then I'd have to start having babies to give them my first born son or something!

After we had a look at everything we grabbed a little table for two, a drink from one of the 5 or 6 different free bars (martini bar, wine bar etc) some appetizers from the many tables of yummy little treasures such as coconut shrimp, skewers of some kind of marinated and grilled chicken, potstickers, spring rolls and more smoked salmon than you could shake a stick at...and sat back to listen to the wonderful little string quartet that was playing. Let's just say Marie and I are not living in the lap of luxury...so most of this part of the evening was spent admiring/criticizing other people's choice of attire for this event. (Marie and I chose basic black dresses and we were most acceptable, a little plain but acceptable) One lady with bleached platinum hair chose a gold lammee (sp) jacket with pink silk embroidered pants...that was good for a "look at that one".

At around 7pm a silky male voice invited us all into the main Gala dining room. OMG! What a beautiful sight! 420 tables for 10, beautifully adorned in white and black linens, 2 boxes of chocolate at each place setting, bottles of Red wine, white wine, mineral water, regular water... all surrounding a very beautifully hand carved, hand painted, 5 foot Zebra. Yes folks the centerpiece was a 5 foot Zebra.

Introductions were made of the people gracing us with their presence at the Headtable..Owners/CEO's and their spouses of many of the Canadian Grocery food stores. A special guest singing the Canadian National anthem all followed by a dinner of Filet Mignon, Roasted Red potatoes and wonderfully steamed vegetables! Scrumptious. Dessert of white and dark chocolate mousse topped with Raspberry sauce and fresh berries was served with coffee and tea. Everything was absolutely scrumptious as you can imagine.

All this scrumptiousness was followed by Michael Buble and he gave an amazing performance to this intimate group of 4,200 people. Michael performed for approximately 90 minutes. He played all my favorites: Home, Save the Last dance, Quando, and many more. His is an amazing talent and cute to boot!

After Michael was finished crooning came the draw for the car. That's right a draw for a 2006 Corvette. Quite a nice piece of equipment. I knew from early in the evening it would be mine! How could it not be!

Well I must tell you that Karma slapped me in the face that night....remember the chick I sat giggling at her gold lammee coat and pink pants...well, she won the car. Frankly from that you know...I was meant to win the car and because I was evil and judgmental it was given to someone with a lesser fashion sense! So now no matter what she wears , she's gonna look fab in that fricking car!

It was an amazing night!

Let's not forget the goal of the evening though! The goal was to raise $3Million for the Canadian Crohn's and Colitis Foundation and my guess is they probably did all that and more!

hmmmm...back to the grind!

TTYL

3 Comments:

Blogger Colleen said...

Glad you had a good time. Hopefully one day, you can be my guest!!!

7:26 pm  
Blogger MP said...

Thankfully you posted the update, I was dying yesterday wondering how it was. I LOVE going to those fancy parties. I've been to a couple, luck of the draw, not that I was able to pay for a ticket. I was able to visualize the entire thing. Food sounded yummy! What a HUGE event. 4200! Michael Buble was on the Today show on Thursday, I was able to show off to the hubby that he was playing an event in Toronto on Sat...

10:19 am  
Blogger B said...

When people like that win prizes like that, you just got to tell yourself that the girl that won the car will probably wind up smashing it into something as she backs up because the reflectiveness of her tacky gold coat will blind her as she backs up out of a parking spot.

At least that's what I do anyways.... ;)

6:51 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home