Sunday, November 27, 2005

Progress is good

So the saga of the basement continues. I can actually say that progress is being made. It took some time to get into it.
Demolition began approximately a month ago. Drop ceiling down, carpet out and one new wall put up to create an office for me and that's where it stopped for about 2 weeks. I found laminate flooring for a great price and we measured twice and I went out and bought it...It is very nice. It's gonna look great once down..for now it's in my dining room with the computer and anything else that could not stay in the basement. Fast forward to this weekend.

Husband admits that there is no way he can bring this project to completion without help from the troops..by troops I mean the husband of the nasty woman next door. Along with him came another friend to help and an electrician. In one day, sub floor is put down, new divisional wall is put up and most of the electrical work was done by a pleasant little old man. The electrician is a 60 year old tiny little frenchman from New Brunswick with an accent that reminds me of my family in the north. His only request was for us to keep the coffee hot and coming! He installed new plugs, wired for recessed lighting, track lighting for the office and sorted out many other nasty things that had been hiding in my ceiling..live wires connected to nothing and the such. Work ended last night around 9:30 and will continue this morning as soon as everyone has risen from a night of partying. And as mentioned before the neighbours can party!

Today we hope to get the ceiling up and the recessed lighting in place.

The plan is that next weekend we get the rest of the drywall up and completely mudded and taped. Once that is done the painting will be done and then the floor installed. That will make things better for my dining room....we'll actually get a Christmas tree put up in our new basement and we'll be able to eat a Christmas meal at the dining room table.

Progress is very good.

3 Comments:

Blogger Aimee said...

I can't wait until Christmas. Can it be today? I want to sit in the newly finished basement, sip hot chocolate, and hang with the family.

7:39 pm  
Blogger Colleen said...

Baby steps my friend...baby steps!!!

At least your electrician is asking for coffee and not beer! I hear fire insurance is hard to claim now a days if the electrician was a drunk!!!

10:19 pm  
Blogger Amy said...

Sounds like things are coming along nicely, Linda.
I love laminate flooring! So easy to keep CLEAN!

8:38 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home