Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Calls from the Provincial Government...

Last Friday, youngest daughter took a telephone message for her Dad. The message was from a lady at the Provincial Government that said she had some very important information for him. She left a number and very little other information for a Friday afternoon. For me, the message drove me crazy all weekend, for husband...not a thought.

Rewind back 8 years....Rob's mom passed away and while sorting through her apartment all the information in regards to Hubby's adoption came to light. For me this was a partial surprise. I knew that my future husband had been adopted but he never talked about it and I never pushed. We were newly engaged and I didn't feel it was my place to question. Finding all the adoption paperwork and other tidbits of past history led to many nights of discussion over coffee. Was he curious? Would he like to find his birth parents? Would he like to know if he had half brothers or sisters. He was raised as an only child and although it was a good life when he was young, his parents stormy relationship led to many problems in his teenage years. After all was said and done we began an internet search that was pretty uneventful except that it led us to discussions with a lovely lady that was looking for her son and she provided us with a plan of action. She suggested that we contact Children's Aid and see if there was some information we could obtain, that was fruitful and led us to submitting Hubbies search to the Adoption Disclosure Registry 7 years ago.

Fast Forward to this morning 10 am. I was reminded of the phone message and since Hubby is working nights and doesn't usually stay awake during the day I decided to call home and leave him a gentle reminder on the voicemail to call the lady. Youngest Daughter home for lunch (second period lunch how stupid is that!) told me Dad was still up and he came to the phone. I convinced him to call. He called the lady and left a message..."Going to bed in a half hour because I work nights, but please call me back." She returned his call in less than 5 minutes.

Rob's BirthMom is alive and well and very happy to hear that he is looking for her. She lives in Ottawa and has been married for many years. She is 56 years old, Rob is 40. She is young and she was very young when she had him.

Rob is stunned! He was very shaky when I spoke to him. Decision to have a beer at 10:30 this morning..not difficult..frankly it's noon somewhere.

His first words to me: "They found her, she wants to meet me...I guess we're going on a roadtrip!"

Adoption Disclosure Registry for the Gov of Ontario..THANK YOU! To anyone searching for their birthparent/child...keep hope they may be searching for you as well!

We'll keep you posted! TTYL!

1 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

Wow, Linda! I got the goosebumps over here. That is so cool and that will be one exciting trip!

3:47 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home