Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Thanksgiving Traditions

Thanksgiving is an opportunity to give thanks for all the wonderful things that have/are happening in your life! This year we have a lot to be thankful for.

1)I have an awesome family! A great hubby, 3 wonderful girls, fabulous parents, a very kind father in law, a cool baby brother with a very nice wife and two very cute little daughters that I get to call nieces!
2)Everyone in my family is in relatively good health and aging very gracefully
3)Girls are all in school and doing well
4)Have a great home that I love (and will love even more once renovations are complete)
5)Have a great "new to me" car
6)We are both gainfully employed
and the list could go on and on.....but this post is not about things I'm thankful for, it's about traditions!

My Mom and Dad have always made Thanksgiving about Family. It was one of the few times of the year where extended family always got together. Some would bring appetizers, some would bring salads and veggie dishes, some would bring dessert. Mom would always supply the staples, turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes etc. At the end of the meal we would all join together to announce what we were thankful for that year. When my kids were young they would attempt to hide in the crawlspace with my much younger cousins so they didn't have to embarrass themselves in front of the adults, but my Mom would always call them up for dessert and while they were nibbling on goodies she would break out the video and make them start declaring all they were thankful for! This tradition gave everyone the opportunity to share good news about new jobs, cottages, vacations or make announcements about upcoming weddings or babies! As the years passed by the family got bigger and bigger, new husbands, wives, children and even in-laws all wanting to be together on this special occasion. It got to the point where Mom was hosting events for 30-40 people or so it seemed.

It was always part of my tradition that Rob and I would retire to the front porch of my parents home for an after dinner smoke. In the beginning there were a few of us and the numbers dwindled year after year as people were giving up the habit. As my kids got older they began to join us to keep us company (not to smoke) and a new tradition was started. This became the place where secrets of years ago were shared when there was no longer a possibility of nasty repercussion of the punishment kind.
We've had tales of "Drunken Kid Storage", Driver's licenses obtained months before and silly fun stuff like that!

This year was different, Thanksgiving was at my house this year, Mom and Dad downsized and don't really have the room anymore. The extended family have now started their own traditions and our occasion was a much smaller event of only 12. We had a wonderful meal, great dessert and fabulous conversation! Everyone but immediate family and boyfriends were gone by 9:30 on Sunday evening. As I sat to enjoy a nice cup of coffee and some relaxed conversation with my family, an animated Jennifer announces to her sister that it's time to tell Mom! Aimee shakes her head...nope I don't think so Jen. Jen disagreed and disappeared returning with pictures that would tell the story of what happens when your parents go out of town! (Sorry M&K for getting the dates screwed and suggesting that I would return the favour! We figured it out I was in NF's playing the Canadian Pool Championships!So it wasn't on your watch!!)
Anyway this is the first picture that was presented to me! Pretty harmless I would say, mostly regular weekend events...




Then came this one.....



The next one gave me a feeling that something sinister might be up...



No the Girls did not burn down my house....but the FireGuy came for a visit all the same!!
That's right My lovely teenage daughters of whom I brag all the time invited a stripper into my home!!!





This is where the photo essay stops today, let me just say that my girls got every inch of this man in print! Very Surprised they got the pictures processed. I will not be posting the remainder of the pictures no matter how much you beg!

So today I sit wondering if I'm pissed off they did this and violated my trust or if I'm pissed cause they didn't invite me!

Hope your Thanksgiving traditions bring you as much happiness as mine!!

TTYL

4 Comments:

Blogger Colleen said...

HOLY CRAP...I know that fire guy!!!

Your pissed that you were excluded (so am I).

Just kidding - I don't know him but I can't wait to see the rest of the pictures!!!

6:33 pm  
Blogger Aimee said...

Mama,

I still stand by the fact that this was all Jen's idea. I TRIED to tell her it wasn't a good idea, but you know how she is...

Anyways, we don't have any good ones stored up for next year. Maybe Jen will have to work on that. It always seems to be her sinister stories that get saved for thanksgivings to come.

7:03 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL Mom

7:05 pm  
Blogger Amy said...

HILARIOUS!
You forgot to say you are thankful for the girls not hiring the stripper for Thanksgiving dinner.

9:25 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home