Monday, December 18, 2006

Christmas' from long ago....very long ago

Many many years ago....40 years ago to be exact, my Mother gave me my very first "created with love" Christmas gift. "Created with Love" gifts are the very best kind of gifts! These are the gifts that someone has actually put thought, time and effort into. The gifts that years down the road will always be looked upon lovingly because you know they can never be replaced by some "store bought" item that is mass produced.

Many of my gifts were "Created with Love" gifts...Perhaps it was because of the times? A time when people put more thought into each gift that was given. Or, perhaps it was because of the conservative fiscal nature of my parents? It doesn't matter what the reason....those were truly some of the best gifts!

My very first gift of this nature that was captured in photos and therefore in my memory forever...the beautiful doll sized cradle complete with full bedding and baby doll. I'm sure that my Mom spent hours lovingly sewing all the little mattress, sheets, blankets and pillows so my little baby would have a wonderful place to sleep and I would have hours of fun. I'm sure I did.

The next special gift I remember was waking up on Christmas morning in my new Christmas PJ's in a completely overhauled bedroom... lovely new paint colour, new curtains, matching bedspread, shelves, desk and mirror. I never asked how she managed to pull this one off? I don't remember being banished from my room for any amount of time? I don't remember my Mom being absent due to renovating for any length of time...Mom, How did you do that? All I know is that I have a picture that shows me in complete bedtime attire standing on my bed showing off my brand new bedroom!

Do you have any special memories of Christmas' past? Did you have any special traditions that you do or don't continue with your offspring to this day?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bringing back memories.

You know I don't like shopping when you have to get some thing.So Id rather spend hours LOL to make something. No I have always felt great satisfaction in making something.

I don't remember the reason you got to be banished as you say from your bedroom but you were in school then and I did it during the day.Herb help me build that desk which I offered back when we moved .It's now in my room at home (I just sanded all those clouds that I had covered but kept coming back out and painted it and the rest of the room when we were waiting for the go ahead to come down here)

I also remember one year when you liked Barbie's I knitted and made clothes for many nights and enjoyed doing it LOL I would not do that again now .But I have something else in mind if it works out which will take many years to make.You still have the stockings?I have many projects not finished but I guess looking for something new.

Thanks for the memories

Mom

8:11 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home