Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Christmas is upon us!

When I was growing up we had some pretty nice family times at Christmas. My Mom always decorated the house soooo beautifully, you couldn't help but get in the Christmas spirit. Christmas at our house wasn't about a multitude of presents, it's always been about the traditions that my Mom built for us.

Christmas Eve always found us around the Christmas tree and we would get to open one gift. Every year that gift was a new pair of pajamas. Always warm snuggly pj's that we would rush to get into and then onto snacks and whatever Christmas special that was on TV. Then off to bed.

That is perhaps my fondest memory of Christmas (besides sharing the crisp turkey skin with my Grandmother while she was carving the turkey). This is a tradition that I have continued with my children. A new pair of pj's on Christmas Eve so that everyone looks nice on Christmas morning when pictures are snapped.

Many things change as we grow older. While the children were young we would go carolling with distant cousins. As the kids got older we decided that we would add some tradition of our own. Now on Christmas Eve, the men in their lives come over, we prepare the seafood and the steaks go on the BBQ. We have a wonderful dinner that lasts for hours while we eat, laugh and share all the discussions of our plans for a brand new year. After dinner we tidy up, pour the Bailey's and Coffee and gather around the Christmas tree where we open our Christmas Eve present. We've added two presents to the pajamas. A new movie each (we're all too old for Christmas cartoons) and a family game. The girls get to open their gifts from the men in their lives and then a movie or a round of the new game is in order.

My Mom and Dad are Snowbirds now, each November, they pack up their lives and move them to the warm southern air. I miss my Mom.

For us we have continued to celebrate the traditions that my Mom lovingly began with my Brother and I as children and I hope that my children look back with as much love on these traditions.

Thanks Mom! Merry Christmas!
TTYL!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home