Thursday, June 23, 2005

On the way to Ohio....dear, deer me!

Many moons ago, before we were married, DH and I decided that we would take an unplanned road trip. A spur of the moment adventure for two new lovebirds. OH, where to go?... For any of you that know me, I am the least adventurous person in the world. I love the idea of adventure but to actually risk going out into the world, hmmm...not so much. DH on the other hand, LOVES adventure and had been tossing this idea about for many weeks.

So on the very first long weekend of the summer, we packed up my old station wagon with the mountain bikes and very little else except our clothes and headed across the border to visit a friend that we had heard was living in Ohio. I mean really Ohio's not far on the map, only a couple of inches. What was the worst thing that could happen?

I was very excited, in fact, thrilled that my new man was making me give into my dream of wanderlust and actually make it happen. Something about that excitement sparked a really deep passion that I had never felt before and soon I was asking how many states we would actually go through. DH was dumbfounded why did I ever need to know that? Well I think I shocked him with my explanation that I thought it might be fun to have sex in every state we passed through and this may have been a contributing factor to why he asked me to marry him a few short months later....

First stop, Tops Supermarket in Niagara Falls, New York. Not for sex, but to exchange our Canadian funds into the native US currency and to get directions to the highway we needed to find. After asking many people and not getting good directions, (yes i am a woman and ask for directions!) we finally lucked out and a very nice woman actually drove us to the required exit! (if that was you, THANK YOU!).

By the time we actually got on to the interstate highway we needed it was starting to get dark and my paranoia was kicking in. DH wanted to stop for a break and I was worried that if I got off the damn highway we'd never find out way back. It was my first experience with Toll Highways...I mean seriously people, much easier to pay taxes and let the MOT take care of the roads then stop a gal every 20 minutes for a couple of bucks! Anyway, to make a long story short we left the State of New York with no extra curricular activity except paying the tolls!

Then came Pennsylvania...hmmm a lovely state in the dark. I'm holding strong and despite the fire pit of passion in my tummy for the specimen sitting beside me I was NOT stopping! It was dark dammit and it was my first adult adventure! DH was not happy...I had peaked his interest only to let him down and we were already in the second state of our travels. What's a girl to do, the next best thing is to help a poor soul out of his misery and at least lend him a hand! So that's what I did. Remember, this is my first adventure and I'm really being daring now! I'm giggling and happy at the fact that we achieved a happy compromise and DH is kicking back enjoying the scenery when BAM!!!! It hit us! Something bolted straight into the side of my car, hit the front fender and left blood, hair and dents all along the passenger side of my car!
I screamed, DH yelped at the sudden uncomfort and I quickly released and put both hands back on the steering wheel and pulled over on the side of the highway. While DH was adjusting his clothing and I was sitting sobbing a knock came on his window. It was the people that were behind us and they told us that it was a Deer that bolted out onto the highway into our car and after it hit us, it stumbled, got hit by them and got up and ran into the forest. They were stopping to check their vehicle out and thought they would check to see if we needed any help since we probably got the brunt of it. All zipped up and certain things returned to normal, DH got out of the car to check things out and we were surprised how little damage was actually done to the car.

Once I finally stopped shaking we continued on our journey with both hands on the wheel all the way there, and making all promised stops on the way home during daylight hours to avoid surprises!

All in all it was a memorable adventure and DH and I still like to take road trips together!
TTYL

3 Comments:

Blogger Aimee said...

Sometimes, I wish I didn't know this story, but it's a good one just the same.

9:02 pm  
Blogger Beware: Social Worker on the edge said...

And that is why I don't encourage that behaviour. It just leads to know good.

8:34 am  
Blogger Kim said...

lol, ahhhh, road trips and road kill kind of go hand in hand with road sex... doesn't it?

8:26 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home