Monday, May 30, 2005

Descent into Hell-otherwise known as cleaning the storage rooms

not really sure how to start this one.....

Naturally in the spring there is the feeling of rebirth and often times the only way to spring forth fresh and new into the world is to shed the old. Our community is very strong on the three R's, REDUCE, REUSE and RECYCLE and although I'm pretty good on the first two (we reduce cause we can't afford not to and we reuse cause we can't afford not to)on the third r, "Recycle" we have become Masters!

What do you mean? That's not what they mean when they say that?

Okay so maybe we don't recycle it, we just horde it in the back rooms of our basement waiting for a time when loving item can be brought out and recycled!
Truth be told it really never makes it out of the basement again, unless it's purpose is to decorate my house for Fall, Halloween, Thanksgiving,Christmas or Easter..(thanks to Mom's downsizing for seasonal decor).

So the week started out like this....

Mom to DD#2: So spring pickup is next week in our area.
DD#2 to Mom: uhh huh?
Mom to DD#2: I was thinking maybe we should really clean out the basement this year so I don't spend the whole year griping (nice word for what I really do)about all the crap down there. Do you think you and your sister could help me out? I know that DH is gonna help.
DD#2 to Mom: Okay, we'll help not a problem!

Looking back, I'm positive that my poor loving daughter wishes she could take back her considerate willingness to join in.

Saturday morning arrives and after discussion over coffee it is decided that 11 plastic bins to store the decorations and other items that we absolutely need to keep must be purchased. Done, DH leaves for Wal-Mart immediately with DD#2 and soon return with the required storage containers. DH then disappears.

Mom to DD#1: Where the hell did he go?
DD#1 to Mom: I don't know?
Mom to DD#2: Do you know?
ever the peacekeeper
DD#2 to Mom: Mom relax, it's okay we will get this done!

OMG, I feel so guilty...I know that if I do what I really want to do, get the job done, then I probably won't be able to walk until Monday and chances are that will make me really fricking cranky! But...if I just sit back and delegate to these two wonderful kids of mine they will be here all damn afternoon!

Suddenly DH returns.

DH to Me: NFH gave me some 2x6's to replace the broken ones on the deck outside.
me: GLARING at DH!
DH to me (oblivious of glaring look): Pretty nice of them don't you think. (I'd fricking say..it's the least they can do for me since I had to listen to their fricking music and crap all night!)
Me to DH: Please bring that bike upstairs to the garbage.
DH to ME: No, I'm not getting rid of that bike

Now this is where it gets totally out of control...We have many bikes in our household. One in fact for every person that can ride one. Some are very expensive (DH's) and some are not. The bike I am referring to is a frame only. It has no wheels. Really!, seriously not going anywhere! DH proceeds to tell me that he is not getting rid of the bike. He can fix it up and it will be worth something. My question is, to WHO? The damn thing has been in the basement since he started robbing parts off it to fix the bikes that actually do get used. Anyway, much to my chagrin, a veritable screaming match ensued. DD#1 sat quietly saying nothing...DD#2 stood at the top of the stairs waiting for the fireworks to stop. I proceeded to malign my poor husbands ability to remain focused on one project by reminding him of the many unfinished projects in our house. Didn't go over well!

DH decided to handle it by calling me sergeant F*cking General and proceeded to lose focus on yet another project to begin moving the workbench from one side of the newly cleaned basement storage room to another. Which gave me further ammunition to scream absurd accusations at him.

So the DD's and the SFG (that's me) continued to get the basement reorganized, and man did we purge! I guess all that self help TV I watch put me in a good frame of mind because, wow, did we ever purge! Now all that crap goes out to the street for the Raiders of the night (garbage pickers) to have a go at! This year they are gonna love us!!

So after all that, there I sit in my nice clean basement watching a little TLC and doesn't DH come down the stairs with puppy dog eyes and my biggest vase filled with my favorite flower! He went to NFH's and raided their Lilac bush of all their lovely blooms because that's what he does best....give me reason to forgive him and laugh on our joint descent into hell!

TTYL

1 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

Hooray!!!! I love to throw away Jeff's, I mean, old stuff! My man is a hoarder, he has crap everywhere and it makes me crazy. Good for you!!

7:54 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home