Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Daughters and Boys...ugh!

As a Mom to three daughters, I sometimes find it very difficult to mind my own business. I'm generally opinionated and outspoken and when it comes to my most important treasures, I find it hard to remember that God has only lent the blessed ones to me for a time. My job is to instill all the good things that a parent is supposed to.
I can honestly say that I have been blessed with 3 very level headed girls for the most part. That's really a good thing because my life in general has been very, hmmmm...let's say interesting (definately another blog there!)

In the world of romance both my girls have had some interesting experiences. The focus today will be DD#1.

DD#1's first serious venture into the world of boys and their stupidness was when she was about 15. Girls are not so smrt(sp) when they are 15. (God knows I wasn't!) DD#1 was in love with Phone Sex Boy(as he is now referred to) ! Poor DD turned her back and this idiot ran up our phone bill to the tune of $500 in 900# calls (greatfully,Ma Bell took those charges off our bill as I had thankfully requested a restriction on allowing those numbers from our phone) and then another $460 to some overseas number that you can't block. I approached Phone Sex Boy's dumbass parents about it and their only comment was "Oh Dear, he did it at your house too!" They never offered to pay for their precious sons sex calls and Phone Sex Boy was immediately banished from the house.
Thankfully, DD#1's ventures into boy world have been few and rarely has she felt the need to bring'em on in to the family fold. Recently DD#1 has started dating a very nice young man (he kind of looks like Matt Damon) and to date I refer to him as "Boy". Boy and DD#1 are experiencing the thrills of new romance. Although the two have known each other forever (since high school)this new experience is very exciting for both. They spend every waking moment possible together and when they are not together, I can see DD#1's eyes looking up to the heavens dreamily thinking of her "Boy"

I think surgeons could have a first by attaching these two at the hip, or the lips.
Boy and DD#1 have been coming to DH's softball games, but... DH doesn't think they have stopped gazing into each others eyes long enough to watch any of the game.
Herein lies the problem.....DH and I (actually more me) wanted to be sure that DD#1 maintained her individuality, her sense of self, that she remember her family obligations and her obligations to maintaining her friendships, while spending inordinate amounts of time with Boy. We wanted to ensure that she not lose herself or her friends for something so simple as a "boy". DD#1 tells us that she is happy, in fact ecstatic at her current situation and everything is fine. True, her main focus is on getting to know Boy and currently all she wants to do is revel in the time they have together. True enough,there has not been much time for them since DD just finished her 4th year of university. True that much of their relationship has been long distance and since her return they just can't get enough of each other!

So,if I mention it one more time she will have my permission to put me out of my misery by taking me to the local vet and having me put to sleep....permanently! She's right! I need to mind my own business and let my lovely SMART daughter live her life, experience her own feelings and should things go well, be there to encourage her in her happiness and if the proverbial shit hits the fan...pass her the windex and paper towels and lend a hand and heart to help clean it up! That's what Moms are for!

Should be easy right! Sure whatever!!!!
TTYL

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really? Are you sure? I think you need to find another VET! And who says I'm not suffering!

4:25 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Girl, you have to distance yourself you forgot they are Adults (the two older ones) concentrate on the younger one you only have a few years left with her
Instill yes but bash in no. Its all so new to her let her enjoy it.Her friends if they are friends will still be there in the fall.mom

4:34 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home