Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Nurturing or Nuts?

Last night after I came home from an outstanding team victory in 9-Ball, I decided to check up on some of the blogs that I read on a regular basis and it got me thinking..... I think I am using the blog surfing as a way of seeking out people that I feel might benefit from an encouraging word or even just an acknowledgement that everything will be okay. Am I just a nurturer deep down or am I a NUT?

Do I really think these people want to hear from some perfect stranger that things will get better? I don't really know but I will continue doing this because I have faith that maybe some little piece of wisdom that I share from my very interesting and full life will make a small difference in someones life out there!

I have a great need to nurture. I don't know where it comes from but history shows that it is a huge part of who I am!

Over the years, I have taken in and nurtured many. My first husband was a man 10 years my senior (I was his 3rd wife, he's currently on wife #4). I was 18 and thought I could fix the poor uneducated bastard! I was young and looking for love in all the wrong places. That marraige ended and left me with 3 good things...2 wonderful babies and the opportunity to get to know my parents again. Once divorced it became obvious that I needed to finish high school and get some real education so that I could support the two little ones in my life. I remember my Dad saying to me when we were discussing how this was gonna happen financially..."I've been paying taxes all my life and I've paid way more in than you will ever collect out of the system, so you get out there do what you have to do and don't for one minute feel guilty about it!" That was an extremely touching moment in my history with him! I went back to high school, graduated and applied to college for a degree in Finance. While in school, I met another uneducated dumbass. I was drawn to him totally because of his fabulous European looks and his extremely sexy nature. He was a "bad boy" that once again I thought I could fix. From him, I got 3 things as well...One beautiful little girl, an opportunity to be even closer to my parents (emotionally and in proximity) and the lesson that there would be "No more uneducated people in my life! I need more to keep me stimulated in a marraige than just good looks and the need to nurture! Through all this there were some foster children that became a big part of our family, Sandy and Miranda became part of our lives for 3 years and to this day I think of them and wonder how they are. There were other kids that came into our lives but never for long and many have made more of an impact on our lives than those that were with us for long term (another blog maybe). There have been many pets, both strays and purchased. We've had homeless acquaintances with their children share our home for a time and we've had countless boarders who have rented a room of our home, even if they couldn't pay! Not all of these situations were good, in fact most of them were not! You really can't help someone that doesn't want to help themselves and some people need professional help! However, I tried and it seems that my need to nurture is a part of who I am!

Luckily for my daughters and for me, I met my current husband Rob and he has put his foot down on a few things. Funnily enough, Rob was a stray person that came into our life as a boarder (one that did pay) and while he was renting a room from us, he became a good friend to the girls and when he moved out I realized how much of a friend he was to me! Thankfully, he realized that our friendship had become so much more than just a landlady/roomer realtionship and we decided to explore things further. Within months it was a done deal and Rob and I had moved into something that has been happy and healty for all involved. He is my California Guy and I wouldn't trade him in for the world! Anyway, like I said Rob has put his foot down....no more strays of any kind in our home!!! This has made my children very happy! They no longer have to share rooms or share their Mom to some stranger that seemingly needs her more than they do!

So, nurturing or nuts?.....probably a little/lot of both!
TTYL

2 Comments:

Blogger Aimee said...

well, I seem to remember having a stray living in my room for a little while, so maybe Rob's foot hasn't come all the way down?
hehe, just kidding
It's possible you may need to nurture your kids for a long time to come, so don't worry...you can still accept your calling

DD2

10:21 am  
Blogger Kim said...

I've had so many strays I can't count them anymore... seems perfectly natural to me my friend.

11:10 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home