Friday, September 21, 2007

Happy Birthday Baby!

Well I'm a few days late and a dollar short with this posting.

The other day, my youngest raison d'etre turned 17. 17 is an important age to a 17 year old. It's the age when hormones tell you that you should be able to do whatever the heck you wanna, whenever the heck you want to. Her whatever was to have her first party with alcohol and everything. I have a couple of rules where this type of party is concerned (especially the first one, set the ground rules early)

So before we agreed to allow it this is the conversation we had, I spoke, she listened.

1) Any drivers.....no alcohol! I will not tolerate drinking and driving of any kind.
2) Underage drinkers...their mothers/fathers must be aware they are drinking.
3) under no circumstances will we tolerate illegal drugs of any kind on or about the premises.
4) I do not clean puke, nor do I hold back hair for those that feel the need to do so...recommendation, do not let your friends get to inebriated because you will be cleaning puke!
5) no one leaves here without having a safe ride home
6) there will be no drunken teenage storage at this home and that includes you!
7) All drinking must be done responsibly and as this is your first party, your father and I will be in attendance.
8) I will not buy you your alcohol.
9) If you are hungover you will still be getting up to assist in the preparation of the brunch being held here for your grandparents, no excuses!

Those were the rules set out and she chose to accept the challenge.

Fast forward to last night, the main event!
1) House cleaned and teenagers begin to arrive around 7:30pm. Fire started in the chiminea and music cued.
2) I refuse to admit I know where she got her alcohol, but she had it. A 4 pack of smirnoff ices to share with her friend Bronwyn and a 26er of vodka. Total drank all night 4 smirnoff and around six ounces of vodka that she shared with friends...done drinking by 10:15pm. On to water, she learned from her sisters that water is the key to no hangover the next morning.
3) no drugs that I saw or smelled...not a whiff
4) all drivers drinking pepsi or juice, no questions asked
5) mom's arrived to pick up the last of the tipsy teens by 1:30 am.
6) not one teen puked! Surprisingly she hangs out with a fairly responsible group of kids that all have older siblings that were not so responsible and they learned from their mistakes!
7) not one fight, not one angry parent and no drunken teenage storage, not even her!

All in all a very good night. I'm pretty proud of her and her current batch of friends, they all seem quite nice and seem to be fairly responsible. I even met the boy she's been dating for 3 weeks. Very nice young man, 19 years old...job and a planned out future. For now it works , he treats her well, seems responsible, is respectful of his elders and his peers.

This morning everyone was up early, re-tidied the backyard for our brunch and the family celebrated my Mom's b-day (Happy B-day Mom) that was Friday and Brianne's b-day that was Thursday. We had a very nice time.

I'm proud of my girls, they've all learned that there are rules in life that must be followed and although there is still a leash until they move out of the house....if all remain respectful of each other it's a very long leash with lots of room to grow!

Good Job Brianne! Happy Birthday Ladies, may you have many more!!!

2 Comments:

Blogger B said...

you're wayyy more fun than my parents...

4:33 pm  
Blogger MP said...

Hi there! Yes, VERY brave. I just had a bus ride from hell w/ a Candian chap this weekend. How confusing w/ the 18 and 19 year old legal drinking stuff. If the cops came to your house, would you have been arrested...here in the states they would do it in a heartbeat.
My mom and dad would still be in jail if they did that back when I was in HS.

11:37 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home