Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Wanna know? Do ya?

Well if you really want to know what we did this weekend....go see Aimee's post she says it best and she has pictures too!

If you didn't venture over there then I guess I should tell you we went strawberry picking so that we could make jam.

Aimee tells about the adventure but she doesn't tell you how good it smelled in the strawberry patch, in the van on the way home and in our kitchen! The sweet smell of succulent red berries was enough to make your mouth water! We had a great morning and an even better afternoon laughing at how much jam we were actually going to have to make! In total 32 500ml jars...now that's alot of jam! We do have alot of people that we love and will share with and it keeps in the freezer for up to a year. I use my Mom's recipe....half the sugar, twice the berries and I get perfect strawberry preserve. It's not really jam since there is nothing firm about it and you can't spread it. It is best served up in a bowl for dipping toast in or as a sauce with ice cream..this is how we love our jam!!

After we had our family foray into preservatives (Mom your recipe is the best and I have put some away in the freezer for you guys!!!) we cooked up some steaks on the BBQ and relaxed in the backyard. For me that was all I could do. The whole process damn near crippled me! Next year, I drive there, drop of the pickers, sit have a coffee and watch the people go by. When the pickers return I will pay for the lot of berries and drive everyone home! That way I can actually assisting in the preserve part which is the most fun!

Go see the pictures and put your orders in!!!

3 Comments:

Blogger MP said...

Here is my absolute favoite..Strawberry Spinach Salad..and it's good for you:
Take some spinach, I use the prewashed stuff.
Put that in a bowl, slice strawberries..as many as you want.
Canned Manderine Oranges..in water if you want to be more healthy.
Bag of Walnuts.
Top w/ Low Fat Poppy Seed Dressing.

Personally I can't get enough.
I like strawberry pickin it's just been too damn HOT..

8:40 am  
Blogger Beware: Social Worker on the edge said...

Sounds good. I frozen mine for the fall. It is too hot to do jam right now for me. LOL

9:02 am  
Blogger Heather said...

Mmm..I love strawberry jam! I'm too lazy to go out and pick them this year, plus bending over isn't as easy as it used to be..lol. But maybe I'll get domestic next year and try it then!

5:57 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home