Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Cause that's how I roll

We have a couple of wonderful inexpensive festivals that happen each year in our area. They always happen one weekend after the other and always seem to be badly timed to compete with high school final exams and the Gay Pride Parade in Toronto.

So you may be wondering why I care about the timing of these events as I am not in high school nor am I a prideful Gay person.

Well I care that everyone should be able to participate in all of our local events, that's why!

Anyway, the first one happened this past weekend. In our neighboring city is the Sound of Music Festival. This years headliners were "The Trews", "Teenage Head" and Michael Burgess. All great music! What great weather we had this past weekend for everyone to enjoy the sounds of all these great musicians on the shores of Lake Ontario. I missed it because we were busy trying to get our asses to Vegas in that stupid pool competition! (nope, not bitter....much!)
All this great music is accompanied by carnival rides and food booths. You know, the normal fun carnival stuff that attract all types of fun interesting people!

This coming weekend is our own Town's "Waterfront Festival" and it again is a variety of carnival type happenings with fun for all ages. The headliners for this festival are David Usher and "Jacksoul".

The youngsters love the rides. The teens love the music and the rides and the opportunity to hang out with friends, stay out late and piss off the world with their lack of concern for safety and all things parental. The adults indulge in the carnival atmosphere (otherwise known as the beer gardens), remembering the times when we were teens and nothing else mattered to us. For the adults it seems to be one summer celebration that allows us to kick back forget about the day to day stuff and start the summer off well!

Now as it happens...our local teens must now determine whether they would rather be studying to get good grades and graduate in the near or distant future or attend the Festivals and our Gay members of the community must determine how they would rather spend their time,
celebrating their diverse sexual and gender identities in sweaty downtown bars or on the shores of Lake Ontario with the ultra conservative folk that some think originally planned this festival to co-ordinate with Pride Week to keep them in Toronto!

Fail at school, well you can always become wait staff at one of the gay bars downtown!

Me...well I'll be spending my time at home and in my backyard, enjoying my fire and elbow room.....cause that's how I roll!

If you're local and wanna hang....give us a call and come on over!

3 Comments:

Blogger MP said...

Festivals at Lake Ontario sound awesome...I'm thinking mosquito's though, huh?
I've never been to Canada. It's on my list..but with now near future plans I'm going to have to pass on the blog world invite :-) Sounds fun though!

9:47 am  
Blogger Beware: Social Worker on the edge said...

may take up up on it!

1:00 pm  
Blogger Jay said...

That's hilarious.
I'm hoping to be gay and prideful myself this weekend. It does seem tragic that all the fun happens right when they shouldn't be having any. Choices, choices.

7:07 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home