Tuesday, September 26, 2006

To Heat Or Not To Heat...that was the question...

Dammit, Dammit, Dammit~ This has been one of those weeks where nothing seems to be going good. I'm trying desperately to remember if I forgot to forward one of those stupid emails that get sent to you and if you don't forward it to a million people you will have bad luck for a lifetime or your penis will fall off...since I don't have a penis..well you can guess how my week is going!

I've always thought of fall as a good time of year. The kids go back to school, restoring some semblance of order to routine, I myself find it easier (usually) to get up and go to work since it's cold and there is less pull to sit and soak up the sun in my backyard. You know what I mean! I know you do!

This week has been an exercise in patience. The old saying that "Patience is a virtue" has been replaced with the other more modern bit that claims that "Patience is no longer a virtue, it's a damn necessity!" Everything is trying my patience!
Work has pushed me to limits unknown to even the most dedicated slave! I can't go into detail for fear of being "Dooced", but you better believe that if you know me and speak with me in the next 48 hours it may be all you hear about despite the noose around my neck blocking my air passages and making any sound from my vocal chords sound like "UGHHHHH!"
Home has it's challenges as well. In an attempt to maintain the standard and care required to keep the dwellers within our home in some sort of good health, Hubby and I decided that we should take steps to improve the air quality of our home. This has happened mainly because the company we subscribe to maintain our furnace, informed us that our furnace was poisoning our family with carbon monoxide. We didn't feel that this was a good thing and decided to go ahead with two things. Firstly, we hired a company to come in and clean our air ducts. Secondly, we got the furnace maintenance company to come back and attempt to clean and reconstruct our furnace so that we can get at least another year or hopefully two out of it! Last night we had the ducts cleaned. At the same time we had the coil to our furnace cleaned to assist in better air flow. It was fricking dirty! Cost $600!!! Friday, the furnace guys will come and hopefully grant us peace for another winter, sans cost! (we pay a monthly maintenance plan) We've done alot on the house this year. The reno's we've done have pretty much usurped our total budgeted amount for the year. What's left will go to painting that still needs to be done. Earlier this year (January) we made a conscious decision that we would forego real holidays for this year in order to enjoy our improved home for the rest of the year! Made sense to us. (at the time) Now, Hubby and I are rethinking our position in hindsight. After everything that's happened this summer...we need some time together! Alone, in the sun, drinking lovely beverages adorned with umbrellas and unfortunately we have now faced the truth, it ain't gonna happen this year or probably next!! We will definitely need that new furnace if we make it through this year on our 28 year old Lennox! Alas, the neighbours from hell also approached us on sharing the cost of a new fence between our properties. I checked it out and apparently not only is it law that I MUST pay something towards it, they are in total control of when it happens. I told them that this was a project that we would review next year, since this year we are officially BROKE! If they want it done faster, they can pay for it and send me an invoice of which I will pay in installments...their choice! At the same time they must get rid of the maple tree that is on their property and threatening to damage my foundation with it's ever growing root bed! Hopefully, it will be two feet taller than the existing fence...

2 Comments:

Blogger Aimee said...

Oh mama Dukes,

you worry too much. We just need to stop being so productive, so the renovation costs are kept to a minimum for a while. That's all...problem solved.

7:17 pm  
Blogger B said...

you definitely should make them tear out that tree before you even think about helping contribute to a fence....

12:43 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home