Friday, September 15, 2006

Countdown...2....1...Marital Bliss?

You know I told you how I got asked to be Maid of Honour in this friends wedding....well, I'm glad I decided to accept.

Friends can be challenging. My friend Christine is VERY challenging. Christine is that friend that grates on everyone's nerves. Hell, she grates on my nerves sometimes, but Christine is probably the kindest, deepest caring and sympathetic person I know. For things of the heart she's pretty considerate in her own kind of way. In times of need all that would be required is a phone call. When Rob's dad passed away, she was over at the house before we finished the phone calls with a warm hug and offers of assistance where required. She truly wanted Rob and I to know that if we needed anything she would be there. This however, is not the side that most people see. Most people see the brash, outspoken sometimes bordering on rude, cocky person that she is in public. She is that person that if you go into a bar, she will be sitting quietly at the end of the bar reading the newspaper, doing the crossword having a beer and GOD HELP YOU if you interrupt her time! Especially if you are a stranger trying to strike up a pleasant afternoon conversation. She will look up, respond briefly to your comments and return to her newspaper. Bug her again and she will be abrupt and tell you that you are intruding on her personal time and if she wanted to speak with a stranger she would have continued the conversation when you addressed her the first time. Christine would not think that rude. To her that would be just the facts...you are a stranger and her plan was to spend some time having a beer, reading the paper...not getting to know some stranger in a bar. If she had wanted to get to know a stranger, she wouldn't have wasted her hard earned dollar on the paper!

Anyway, I'm kind of wandering off topic here and the reason for the post got lost in that little rant....

Last night was the rehearsal at the church. Christine is 45 years old and this is her first marriage. Her husband-to-be Bryan, is one of the nicest guys I've ever met (next to my Robbie). Bryan is kind and considerate and socially adept. This is the counter-balance to Christine's social ineptitude. This is Bryan's first marriage as well. They make a perfect couple.

Last night at the church, standing at the alter, I witnessed great love! All joking aside (and there was a lot of that going on!) they looked each other in the eye and spoke their vows (which they had memorized!) and it was wonderful. It reminded me of how I felt walking up the aisle on my wedding day. I cry at weddings, it never occurred to me that I should bring Kleenex to the darn rehearsal!

The dinner afterwards was held at Christine and Bryan's home. Everything was homemade with love and care. It was wonderful. As I was leaving, I asked the Bride-to-Be if she was okay, if she needed me to do anything last minute and her words to me reminded me of why she is my friend. She said to me:

On Saturday I will marry the man I love and my good friend will stand beside me....that's all I need! I'm actually looking forward to the wedding. It's gonna be beautiful! There will still be stories of frustration and strange happenings..this is Christine's wedding after all!

Damn...I just remembered, I think I have to have a speech!!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Colleen said...

I didn't think I needed to bring klennex to work either!!!

Have a great time tomorrow!!!

9:42 am  
Blogger MP said...

Beautiful post Linda...she is very lucky to have you as a friend.

9:48 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home