Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Long Sunny Weekends

We decided to give ourselves a little holiday this past weekend. Friends invited us up to their cottage/camp/bunkie??? I didn't really know what to expect. On my last visit to the property, that is exactly what it was, just a property with only one building...you got it....a storage/outhouse! I mean really, who stores shit besides shit, in their outhouse?...my friends do!

So, for two years now I've been listening to my girlfriend tell me what a great setup they have. Last time I was there the drive in was enough to make you wonder if you'd ever make it out in one piece...you would but who knew about your car? So with much convincing that the road in is much better, we were off!

Friday's, Rob arrives home at around 6:45 am and in order to beat the long weekend traffic we decide he will sleep till noon and then we'll begin our adventure. I shopped, packed, made sure everything was good at the house for the girls (Aimee got her license so we left her the keys to the car and with that the ability to hit the grocery store, movie store, mall or whatever!) At noon I arrive and make my first attempt at waking "The Grump". Hey! no kidding, I would be grumpy too if somebody was waking me after 5 hours of sleep, but this was his choice and I will not be abused verbally by any ASSHAT no matter the occasion!

12:40- trip in jeopardy of being brought to an abrupt halt!
12:43-apologies accepted and we hop in the van

Okay, so the trip is supposed to take us 2.5 hours according to our friends..we allowed for 4 taking into account who these people are that made the statement.

There was volume on the way, but nothing that would make us cranky! "Sirius Radio" gave us good music all the way through Northern Ontario and we arrived in the town closest to our destination....5 pm. Yup, four hours, not bad you are thinking and so were we. As we approached Perry Sound we saw that the highway was backed up but we knew we had to exit soon so we remained undaunted. We decided that a quick stop at the Timmies for my last civilized coffee of the weekend and a few last minute things at the grocery store before we headed back onto the highway was in order. As we moved onto the off ramp we saw folks pulling out chairs and coolers, playing catch with their kids/dogs...something very strange happening here!

Into the local grocery store we go to get those last few items and we ask what's going on with the highway. A fatality occurred on the highway and it is expected to be closed for a minimum of 5 hours. I was driving so I asked for an alternate route (I am not afraid to ask for directions!) The first lady told me you couldn't get there without hitting the highway and I chose not to believe the little blue hair behind the counter woman, whom frankly probably never went farther than the store she worked at and probably didn't have a clue!, and continued asking until I found someone that quite ably gave me an alternate route. You know there has always got to be more than one way to get someplace!

With Timmies in hand we set off on that route and thanks to the kindness of another local it actually only took us another 3 hours to get into and comfortably set up at the camp! The detour route was also very heavy with traffic and that added 2 hours waiting to go 3 blocks. Once the kind native found us and told us to follow her we were there and unpacked within the hour!

Upon arrival, we found a washed out road that was a little difficult to get through, but slow and steady we got through..we found a nice little cottage with a triple level deck, dock, boat and that same storage/outhouse! A VERY GREAT IMPROVEMENT!

A great weekend was had by everyone, we played crib, we boated, we tubed, we snoozed, we met new folks, we swam! All in all it was a really good time with good friends!

Rob and I chose to leave on Sunday and try and beat Monday's holiday traffic (Canada's Civic holiday Monday for any American friends visiting) Trip back 3 hours!

I'll post pictures if I can ever find the camera cord!

TTYL!

1 Comments:

Blogger MP said...

So did you have to sleep in a tent, did they just have a deck? I don't get it, there was only an outhouse to go potty? And you went there on purpose?
Good for you..knowing and insisting there was more than one way to get there.

8:58 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home