Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Didn't your Mother ever tell you....?

When I was growing up my Mom always had a few things she said that until I grew up I never really thought were important. The first being "always wear clean underwear when you are going out of the house" Until this week, I always thought "ahh, what the hell does anybody care whether my gitch is clean, or if it has holes"....I'm a believer Mom! and I'm sorry I ever doubted you!

My 78 year old father in law was admitted to hospital this week. When my husband called, to tell me, it was mid-day and I could tell he had already been at the hospital for a while. It was best that I go and relieve him so that he could get some sleep. When I arrived sleepy husband was glad to get out of the hospital and knew that I would keep him informed if there was any change. It turns out that F-I-L had collapsed in the hallway of his apartment building and was rushed by ambulance to the hospital. He had felt very weak and shaky and it turns out his legs just gave way on him. FIL had not yet seen the Dr. and he was getting very anxious. There he lay in his "Haute Couture aux Hopital" (blue backless gown) and he was moving around like a little boy that has to go pee. And this was exactly the problem....he had to pee. Obviously they weren't letting him out of his hospital bed and he really had to go! I asked a passing Nurse for a solution and she pointed to the sink..WHAT? You want him to pee in the sink? No, apparently they keep the pee bottles under the sink...
I quickly got a pee bottle and handed it to FIL. "Want some help?" "ABSOLUTELY NOT!"
"okay, just thought I'd offer..You know I have seen a penis or two in my day" Shortly I heard a sheepish call for assistance to remove the container and FIL seemed much more relaxed. Lovely Nurse arrived shortly after this to take FIL's blood pressure and was very surprised at the results. 243/94...VERY high! Now I take medication for high blood pressure and I remember when I was at a very bad time and my pressure reached 196/105 that my Dr. wanted to put me in hospital..so this must be serious! About an hour later the Dr. was finally able to break away from the masses of other sickly people in the Emergency Room (busy place mid-day!) He started by asking questions about medication and symptoms and then he asked FIL to see if he could stand up and walk. FIL slowly slid out of the bed with help from the Nurse and I. Once up on his feet he seemed quite fine...one step, two step, three step..down.
Not FIL...his gitch! OMG, LOL...see FIL shuffle, dragging elastic stretched threadbare boxers across the hospital floor to the next cubby where he can release the open backed bluegown, bend over, ass in the wind, pick up threadbare boxers and attempt to replace them on his ass where they clearly should be and retain one ounce of dignity! FIL came out from behind the curtain, gitch in place, gown in hand and without missing a beat continued to explain his previous symptoms to the good Doctor.
I guess when you are that old it takes alot to show that you've been em-bare-assed.
FIL got admitted that night and this morning his blood pressure was still 231/94.
Prayers welcome...more laughs to come!
TTYL

4 Comments:

Blogger Colleen said...

You know you're all in my prayers and if there is anything I can do, I'm only a phone call away!!!

10:27 am  
Blogger Kat said...

I'm praying for your FIL, hubby, you and the rest of your family....this has got to be hard on all of you.

3:48 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, congratulations on your blog. It's very interesting and I'll definitely be bookmarking you.

I have a free herbal remedy site. It basically covers the best information about free herbal remedy and related topics.

4:53 am  
Blogger Beware: Social Worker on the edge said...

Lin,
I hope FIL is doing better. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and the family.

If we can do anything let us know.

9:29 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home