Friday, July 29, 2005

To shake or not to shake......

A couple of years ago the city of Toronto was virtually shut down to everything because of a deadly Asian illness called Severe Acute Respitory Syndrome better known as SARS. I'm sure most of the world has heard of this deadly disease and know that it is a pnumonia like respiratory illness that kills. Thankfully we live about 30 minutes from the city and my little family of loved ones (friends included) had absolutely no reason to go into the city. Toronto and all the surrounding areas (us included) were deeply affected by the resulting quarentines. Everywhere you went if you dared to venture out you saw people wearing surgical masks, gloves. Most major events were cancelled, I mean really, who wants to visit a city that has an outbreak happening? To this day Hospitals and Dr.'s offices still ask you to use antibacterial lotion on your hands when you arrive to help avoid the spread of germs as many illnesses and other "niceties" can be spread by the mere shake of a hand and this leads me to my dilemma....

Last Tuesday we played pool and when it was time for me to play my opponent announced that he had to use the men's room. No problem I'll wait...take a few practice shots, warm up a little, no problem. My opponent was very quick with his business! He was back at the table in no time. The very first thought in my head was....yup you guessed it..Did he even wash his hands? Normally I wouldn't even think about this but frankly it's pool etiquette to shake your opponents hand before beginning a match and I was a little leary. The following conversation went like this..

Him: "Hi, I'm Frank" (holding out hand to shake)
Me: "Hi, Nice to meet you Frank, I'm Linda. Did you wash your hands when you were done?"
Him: "Excuse me?" (really stupid look on face)
Me: "Did you wash your hands?"
Him: chuckle..."well my mother taught me not to pee on my hands so no I didn't.."
Me: totally disgusted look on face..."Really, we won't be shaking hands tonight sorry"
Him: nervous chuckle.."really I didn't pee on my hands!"
Me: "I'm sure you didn't but I don't wanna shake hands with you if the last thing you touched is your penis. Get my drift!"


Anyway, this was followed by a few awkward moments but a good game ensued. He kicked my ass on the table but thankfully I never shook hands with him...I think he understood my reasons.

Would you have shook his hand?
TTYL

4 Comments:

Blogger Colleen said...

Why do all the good things happen when I'm absent!!! I wish I had been there to hear you say that and see his face so we could have laughed about it for the rest of the night!!!

I don't blame you...I wouldn't have shaken his hand - but then again, I never would have had the guts to ask such a thing!!!

Your too funny!!!

3:27 pm  
Blogger sandegaye said...

As a nurse, I salute you!
Best pathology preventative in the world.. & cheap.
Good going.

1:48 pm  
Blogger Tanya said...

I am with Colleen good on you for asking I would have just obsessed over it for the entire night after i gave the hand a shake....

7:12 pm  
Blogger Heather said...

Just the thought that that was the last thing he touched would have been enough to send me to the other side of the table, waving from a distance. Besides, if he doesn't wash his hands regularly, how can you be so sure that we washes anything else on a regular basis?? Ewww.....

10:54 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home