Sunday, July 10, 2005

Service should be good at any time!

I have a pet peeve! I believe that anyone that chooses to work in an industry that requires working with the public should recognize the responsibility that goes along with that. Maybe there needs to be a "Service Industry 101" class that is mandatory before you start, kind of like WHIMIS (some class on hazardous materials that needs to be taken for anyone in a production/warehouse environment. This would seem reasonable, because in certain instances there could be hazardous meetings in public service! Take this instance for one....

Last night, DD#2 agreed to work as bartender for a friends private party. DD#2 hates people in general but is a great actress and as long as there is a counter, bar, table between her and the customer she could earn an Oscar. She worked in a coffee house for 4 years during highschool and her manager and her customers loved her. This gig was basically done as a favour and required her to be at the event a couple of city's over until around midnight, so this is where I come in....Mom needed to go get her silly ass and bring her home, which since I got the new car, is a breeze and I didn't mind doing. I considered it my donation to the mutual friend's event. Okay so you get the picture, it's late and Aimee and I decide to go to the local Tim Horton's for an Iced Capuccino for her and a Decaf coffee for me. The plan is to take these drinks and head home for a chat and a game of crib to wind down before bed.

Drive Through Lady: Welcome to Tim Horton's. Can I help you
Me (through open window tee hee): Hi, I'd like a small iced cap and a XL Decaf Coffee with 3 creams.
DTL: we don't have decaf coffee, do you want something else?
Me: It's midnight, you don't have decaf coffee?
DTL: no do you want something else?
Me: I guess I'll have regular coffee.
Aimee in background: Tell her to get off her lazy ass and make a pot of decaf, no decaf at midnight, what the hell is that! You've got to be kidding, this is ridiculous! Mom, seriously, if it was me, I'd have made only decaf coffee and those that wanted regular would get decaf and wouldn't know the difference. I used to do it all the time. You don't notice that you aren't getting the caffeine but you do notice if you are. I used to do it all the time and my customers never knew the difference. Tell her to make you a pot!
so we drive to the window.....
DTL: That will be $3.28
Me: So why do you not have decaf? Should I not be able to get what I ask for?
DTL: Well I could make you some I guess... but I don't want to waste a whole pot of coffee if you are the only person that come through here asking for it.
Me: But really, I don't understand, You do have decaf you just didn't want to make it?
DTL: I can make it for you but it will take 3 or 4 minutes for the pot to brew
Me: Well maybe if you had offered to make a pot when I was at the pole back there 5 minutes ago ordering I would have said yes but dammit you didn't even offer and that's just bad service! So thanks for the offer , a little late but never mind, Just give me the coffee that's ready and I'll leave now. (In my head....I think I'm just gonna lodge a complaint to the head office which happens to be right here in my fine Town and find out what the policy is on this!)
DTL: Sure, whatever!
Me: Have a great night...dumbass!


I dunno, I guess I'm just old and cranky and come from a time where "the customer is always right" and "service with a smile" were mottos. Now I guess not so much! But for me they will always be my expectation when going into a store or coffee shop and I think I passed this on to my Girls cause Aimee was just as insulted!

Hmmmm....Monday I'm on holidays and will have lots of time to make some calls! Fun, a little controversy to start off the week!

TTYL

4 Comments:

Blogger Colleen said...

Next time, make her cry...then say no, you don't want the decaf anymore!!! You still go away pissed off, but at least you get some satisfaction out of ruining someone elses night!!! And once you drink the regular coffee and sit up all night stewing about what happened at the drive-thru, you'll be able to eventually fall asleep with a smile on your face!!!

1:56 pm  
Blogger Beware: Social Worker on the edge said...

Those people piss me off. It's like the head set is sucking out the small amount of sense they had left.
I frequent Tim's every morning for an XL coffee 2&1. I am not new at this and for the past week after placing my order instead of saying something pleasant she yells, 1.55 have your money ready!
Nice a coffee Nazi to start my morning...No soup for you!

10:18 am  
Blogger Amy said...

Oh that burns my arse that she said she 'wasn't going to make a whole pot for one cup of coffee'! Tim Hortons was built ONE COFFEE AT A TIME. Please. Totally complain to head office and call that store and tell the manager. At the very least you will get some free coupons out of it.

PS Aimee was great at the party btw-top notch bar wench!

12:51 pm  
Blogger Effie said...

Next time definitely insist on the decaf or let her know what an inconvenience it is to you as you came all the way there just for their decaf and she was too lazy to get it for you....caffeine when you don't want it can reek havoc with your system!!

BTW-I came here through Amy--nice site!

3:27 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home