Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Helloooo! It's been a while!

Well hello there! It's been a while, I know, but damn I've been busy!!

Many things are happening in my neck of the woods. Work life is crazy (not much change there) and personal/home life has had an increased intensity in all aspects.

On the home front, this past month has had us, saying goodbye to dear friends and relatives (which is always difficult personally and for friends and family) and preparing a plan of action for impending home renovations that require a fine line between what do we WANT and what do we NEED and how do we decide which to go with.

Hubby and I decided that we wanted to make this the year that we get done those things around the house that need doing. So here it is in order of importance:

New Furnace- yup when we moved into the house 10 years ago they told us then the furnace owed us nothing....well it owes me lots now. 10 years of high natural gas bills cause of it's inefficiency. I figured out the annual savings will be approximately 40% on my utility bills by moving to a new more efficient furnace.

New Roof- it's not leaking but our neighbour wanted to do it last year and we put her off so probably best to get it done this year before we have problems.

New Washroom- we've got mold and mildew from past leaks that just doesn't seem to want to go away, rotted floors and drywall make this one a necessity. According to my good friend Colleen any $$'s I put into this will add value to the house if we ever sell (after this much work...I'm going NOWHERE!) This renovation scares me a bit. We're gonna lose use of our only complete washroom for the period of the renovation and the only company that has had outstanding references and good prices so far is quoting 2 weeks to complete!

New Patio door and screened back porch- okay this is where the "wants" come into play. For the months that encompass Spring, Summer and Fall you will find my family in our yard. We sit and talk, play games, do the morning crossword, have our meals, have campfires, entertain....well you get the point....we rarely leave the comfort of our yard and in fact many of our friends and our children's friends hang out with us during these months. We love our outdoor socializing and therefore we've justified turning this want into a need. We need to turn the unused space behind our house into a usable space that services us in all weather during these warm months. If funds permit we're gonna get us a hot tub as well. I have always wanted one for the relaxing elements and as I get older well I want it MORE!!!

So all this has led to many people coming through the house and providing estimates and references and all the stuff we need to help make our decision. The estimates and references have varied and frankly this whole process is very tiring. Good companies are hard to find but I'm starting to use the old woman's intuition on some of these guys and hubbies even getting good at reading people that know what they are talking vs. people that haven't got a clue.

So that's what we've been doing at our house.....what have you been up to?

Talk to me!

2 Comments:

Blogger Beware: Social Worker on the edge said...

I bet it will all be worth it, can't wait to see the transformation...think TLC.

We need to do stuff too, running out of space quickly. A basement prehaps.

3:05 pm  
Blogger MP said...

you could just blow it all off and go on vacation, that's what we did.. :-)

11:27 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home