Monday, March 17, 2008

Saying Goodbye when you are far away....

My Aunt passed away. She battled cancer of the brain right to the end and her husband, children and grandchildren will miss her greatly.

I'm dealing with mixed emotions today. I feel the tears build up and then they recede a little knowing that She is in a much better place today. I feel the tears build up thinking about her immediate family, knowing how much they will miss her warm smile, her great laugh and her always warm hug and then they recede a little knowing that they wouldn't want her to be in pain anymore and they will always have her memory in their hearts. I feel the tears build up for my Mom knowing that she will miss her for all the reasons that you miss a big sister...even if the age difference is so significant that she felt more like a Mom at times and then they recede a little knowing that she too has happy memories of her youth, their friendship and the many vacations and holidays that were spent together.

When I was a little girl I spent a lot of time visiting with Ma Tante Therese, Mon Oncle Ti-Blanc and their children. She was among my favorite aunts and as a child I was very discerning! Okay, so I wasn't that discerning. My method of determining how much I liked an aunt or uncle was based on how much attention they showered on me.

Ma Tante Therese showered alot of attention on me when I visited. Ma Tante Therese had only boys and I think she enjoyed being given the opportunity to shower some attention on a little girl who missed her Mom! After all I was the only daughter to her youngest sister.....and frankly that made me special! Or at least I like to think it made me special..... Those summer's I spent in Northern Ontario were a special time in my life. They became the basis for everything I knew I wanted for my future family. A big happy family that spent time together laughing and enjoying one another's company. I was young and an outsider. It was summer and I think just the fact that there was no snow made everyone happier than normal!

They were special times and Ma Tante Therese was a special lady. Today I will cry and then the tears will recede because I will keep her memory and all that she meant to me forever tucked away in my heart.

Salut Ma Tante Therese, je t'aime beaucoups! Merci pour tout!!!

5 Comments:

Blogger Colleen said...

I cry for you today as well...and for many days to come!!!

I don't think anyone can understand it as well as I can right now!!!

I'm here if you need me!!!

Lots, and Lots, and Lots of LOVE!!!
xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

9:58 pm  
Blogger MP said...

Beatiful tribute to your aunt. I'm sure she enjoyed having you into her family those summers and you enjoyed them.
Special prayers are with you and your family.
xoxo
mp

10:00 am  
Blogger Beware: Social Worker on the edge said...

Oh I am terribly sorry to hear about the passing of your dear aunt. Thank you for sharing your memories of her and her family.
You and her family are in my thoughts.

Please pass on my condolences to you mom.

Kate

11:40 am  
Blogger Heather said...

I'm sorry to hear about your aunt and both you and your family are in our thoughts and prayers too.

Keep those good memories close to your heart...they help you remember and will help you heal too.

Take care of yourself...

3:40 pm  
Blogger Biddy said...

i'm sorry for your loss...

i lost a dear uncle to brain cancer a couple of years ago. it is so hard to watch them go through that, and i am so sorry you had to go through that experience

1:43 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home