Friday, March 07, 2008

This is the year....the 45th year!

This week my 45th birthday came and went.

Honestly, I've never been one to place a lot of emphasis on birthdays. I guess I've always thought that it's a personal thing and once you've passed the single digit birthdays and the teen ones it's time to use each birthday as a time to set goals or mourn....your choice. For myself, I've done both.

When I turned 30, I mourned. I mourned my youth, my dreams of living childless in a loft in Toronto with all white furniture and a pair of cute "Royale" kittens to keep me company at home and my chic successful executive co-workers that would share my life when I was not home with the kitties. The reality in my life when I was 30.....single mom to 3 beautiful daughters, in a shitty paying job with little more than a pot to piss in and the truth....I WOULD NOT CHANGE IT FOR ANYTHING! I don't really know why I cried that day but I did. I continued to cry for a few days.

When I turned 35, I became daring. I celebrated that birthday by getting a Tattoo. A tattoo of "Pooh" on my butt. The year that proceeded 35 was a good one. I agreed to marry my best friend that year and spent it preparing for my wonderful white wedding. My career took a turn to improvement. I made peace with who I had grown up to be.

Since that 35th birthday, the celebrations have been laid back and most have passed with little more than a birthday dinner and small presents from hubby and kids. Lots of hugs and lots of kisses. Many birthday greetings from friends.

At 45, I look back and thank GOD that my life turned out the way it did. My three kids, the trials and tribulations of raising them as a single parent, my marriage to the wonderful man I call Husband and Friend, my wonderful friendships, even the health issues that I've had, have been fulfilling and I know today that the "unachieved dream" I cried over on my 30th birthday would never have brought the happiness and fulfillment that I now have.

I look forward to what the future brings and smile when I look back at what my life has given me.

In the words of Ralph Waldo Emerson,

"Live well,
Learn plenty,
Laugh often,
Love much."

3 Comments:

Blogger MP said...

Happy Happy Happy Birthday.

I understand what you mean, as I am creaping up on 42 it's not as big of a deal as..26, 36.. I feel like Doris Day.. Que Sera Sera...

9:11 am  
Blogger Beware: Social Worker on the edge said...

Wishing you all the best for this birthday year.

You have lots to be proud of.

Kate

10:01 am  
Blogger Heather said...

Happy Birthday Linda! I hope that this year is a really great one and that it only gets better!

4:02 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home