Thursday, July 05, 2007

That's what you get for asking me!

Last week a co-worker asked if I would attend a meeting with her for a client that I transitioned over to her about a month ago. I agreed to go.

When I first transitioned this client, we drove to the client's office in downtown Toronto and on our way out of the city we were approached by a squeegie kid for a donation and I told him I would give him a loonie if he'd just stay the heck away from my windows. He was agreeable, but my co-worker was appalled. It was like I had just committed the gravest of mistakes by running upstairs with a murdering crazy person on my heels! Anyway, after that she commented on how perhaps we should take the "Go Train" in future.

Fast forward to yesterday....same client, same meeting place. "Go Train" okay...

It was a rainy day and thanks to the wonderful underground malls in the beautiful City of Toronto we took the Path to the clients office and back. On our way back, I was approached by a young man of around 24-25 years old asking if I could spare .50 for him to get himself something to eat. He explained that he was trying to get to BC for a job. He had his ticket to get out there by train but he needed some cash for food. He was asking anyone he could for .50 so that it didn't burden any one person too much. Again my co-worker was horrified! She had never been approached by anyone like that and it was written all over her face. So, I did the obvious and began grilling the young man on why he would do something so silly as to leave his home and family to make a move like that with no money and how could he approach people with a smoke in hand! At $10+ for a pack of smokes....well you get my drift...

My co-worker was squirming just a little, so then I fished into my wallet and gave the guy a $20. I don't know why this kid touched my heart...but he did. Poor co-worker, I think she was a little surprised. She said something about me being a softie and I explained to her..... I have this code I live with....once when I was young, people reached out to help me and therefore I will do the same!

Okay, so maybe I am a softie, but don't tell anyone!! Shhh...

4 Comments:

Blogger Colleen said...

Your generousity only speaks volumes about the type of person you are - ya big ole softie!!!

9:13 am  
Blogger B said...

you're not a softie...you're a mom. and a good one too :)

1:20 pm  
Blogger Beware: Social Worker on the edge said...

That a girl...You're going to heaven!

1:24 pm  
Blogger MP said...

I'm with you..I either say NO or I'm going to find out what the hell they did to get to the point where they are asking for money..and that really pisses me off when they smell like booze or are smoking.
You just got brownie points from the big guy...doesn't matter if he blew the $20 on crack, smokes, beer or a hooker..it was the thought that counts.

1:51 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home