Thursday, December 29, 2005

Much sadness for the end of the year in Toronto

At least once a month my 15 year old requests that she be allowed to travel into the city of Toronto, a mere 30 minute train ride away. To go with friends to an all ages club, to go shopping with friends at the Eaton Centre or in the summer to walk Yonge Street with her friends. "But Mom, it's only a train ride away and we'll be together! What could possibly happen?"

My response is always, "Let me tell you what could happen little girl! Lots could happen, you are young and you are cute and you are naive as hell! LOTS COULD HAPPEN! Lots of nasty, ugly things could happen and I'm not willing to take that chance. This year has been the worst for shootings in the fine city of Toronto. Our youth have lost all regard for human life and have simply determined that it's okay to wipe out an existence with a single shot or a beating or a number of awful horrible ways!

I cried yesterday watching the news reports on a random act of violence that took the precious life of a beautiful 15 year old girl. Some young person felt that it might be fun to start shooting into a crowded street on Boxing day and they killed this poor little one and critically injured six other lives! This happened at around 5 in the afternoon just down the street from the famed Eaton Centre. This could have been my child! This could have been your child. It was someone's child and that Mother must be dying a thousand deaths each and every moment since then!

With the beginning of a new year upon us, I pray for peace in our world! I pray for a generation of smarter, kinder youth. I pray for a world that we can all be safe in!

May 2006 bring you and your family much peace, happiness, good health and prosperous times! May you always have enough of what you need!

God Bless you all, my internet family and my many good friends and family!

Happy New Year!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home