Monday, August 13, 2007

Mixed Emotions

Got some news today from a very good friend of mine. In fact, I would probably consider her one of my best friends.

For many years now we have laughed together, cried together, played together and vacationed together. We even slept together! but she sleeps with everyone...LOL!

I've known for some time that she and her fiance have been exploring the possibility of moving to another city about 100 km's away. This is a place north of Toronto that has reasonable housing costs and it will half the distance to their cottage.

She is a friend that has always talked about leaving the job she hates, getting married, having babies, buying a house etc and although I listen to her....well let's just say I never really considered the implications. Let's just say she's TALKED ABOUT IT! for a very long time.

Well, she's found a job in that city and is actually giving her notice today at the job she hates and starting the new job on the 27th of August. Man, that's only two weeks away.

I'm going to miss our standing Wednesday night date.
I'm going to miss our bitch sessions about our men.
I'm going to miss evenings sitting in my backyard, getting rid of her grey hairs and drinking coffee
I'm going to miss our playing pool together on Thursdays Girls Team

I'm going to miss my friend!

However:

I am going to be happy that she is no longer in a job that she hates
I am going to be happy that she will own that house she wants
I am going to be happy that she will now move towards getting married and having a family
I am going to be happy that she is only an hour away and I will still get to see her
I am going to be happy because I have internet phone that allows me to call her daily if I want for free
I am going to be happy that she will still be my friend


True friends are hard to find and when you do find one, you know that no matter the distance between you, you will always be together....

4 Comments:

Blogger MP said...

Linda, what a beautiful post to your friend.
My friend moved across country to PA. We see each other a couple times a year, we email occasionally..but she's still my friend and I'm happy she's happy.
My other friend's best friend also took off...to be happy.
Change sucks sometimes doesn't it.
Make sure you take time to get pissed, cry and scream..that is normal and it's part of the grieving process...she's lucky to have such a cool bff!!

3:19 pm  
Blogger Beware: Social Worker on the edge said...

Ahh Linda those are mixed emotions. It is always difficult to let someone go. On the upside, when the family is on your nerves, you now have a place to vacation to.

12:02 pm  
Blogger Heather said...

That was a very sweet post, Linda. And yeah, that is very hard to go through but you know that she will always be your friend, no matter where she lives. That is the beauty of having a true friend.

5:48 pm  
Blogger Jay said...

Aw, it's a true mark of friendship that you can still be happy for her. I hate living so far from my good friends, but you always find a way to keep close.

4:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home