Monday, February 19, 2007

Working at the car wash......yeah

Yesterday Hubby and I took a drive to Dundas to pay our respects to a friends father who's life was claimed in the Valentine's Day snow storm in Hamilton. His passing was sudden and we believe that it had something to do with all the snow that required shoveling. He was very young, in his 60th year.

It was all very sad and I could only think that I was thankful that my own parents were all cozy and warm in Florida, the Sunshine State.

On our way back we decided that it was warm enough that I could give the baby a bath! My girl was so full of salt that the mere thought of a bath made her shudder!

Picture this....the sun is shining. The temperature is not quite above 0, but it's nice enough that a car wash could just be exactly what the Doctor ordered. Clearly we weren't the only ones that thought so. When we arrived there were 9 cars ahead of us. Hubby and I took the opportunity to sit and talk and try and take our minds off the sad events of the day.

What happened next was like a car wreck....I just couldn't leave, couldn't avert my eyes! As we sat there we watched a Toyota SUV pull into the wash bay and just sit, waiting for the water to wash away all the dirt of this past week of snow and salt. There it sat for minute upon minute. Next, the doors of the car wash open and a horn starts blowing. What was happening? Nothing....nothing was happening and clearly the SUV's occupants were getting pissed. No water....why oh why after waiting in line for a minimum of 1/2 hour was this happening is clearly what was on his mind. What happened next threw me for a loop. Out of the car wash bay comes this young boy of about 16. His Dad had sent him on a mission to try and get the gas station operator to fix the damn car wash. Hubby and I sat in line with 6 cars ahead of us and 4 cars behind us waiting for this guy to get his damn car washed and get out of the way so that we could all get to the business of getting our vehicles clean. Out of the gas station comes a young girl, phone in hand. She runs towards the car wash bay, phone to her ear. Man in SUV gets out of his vehicle and starts talking to her animately. His car door is wide open and Hubby and I are just waiting ......let the water swart to flow was all we kept saying. 10 minutes passed, the water never flowed. Every one of us sat and watched the flailing of arms, imagining the conversation that was happening, wondering if we would get our turn....

The answer was nope...not today! After 25 minutes we finally resigned ourselves to the fact that there was nothing to see. It was time to pull out of the long line up and come back another time.

Fast forward to today after work....it's even warmer. The sun is not shining but I have to use my car wash pass or get it extended. So this warrants a trip to the car wash.

When I arrived, I was pleased to see, that the car wash bay was open for business. Unfortunately all those other cars were ahead of me again and this time I only had my thoughts for company. I sat patiently waiting for the cars ahead of me to go in dirty and come out their original colour. Suddenly I look up and a van is pulled up to the bay door, the lady is out of her van yelling into the intercom. Oh no not again! This time a young gentlemen appears, the lady pulls into the bay and pulls right out again. It appears as though in her haste to take her place in line.....she forgot to go into the gas station and pay for a car wash. Paying for the car wash is the only way to get the code to turn on the water!

It's all good, one less car to worry about and my shining girl is in the driveway!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home