Tuesday, February 06, 2007

What am I doing wrong?

It's been one week since I've been back and what a week! A relaxing holiday away led to a roller coaster ride back in the real world!

My first surprise was that I now have a new boss....not a problem. The young man that is now my boss is very unassuming and although I 'm not expecting much in the way of guidance and mentoring..it won't be bad. No problem, except that I feel the deep need to know..."Why wasn't I considered for the position??" Aside from the fact that we don't have the same physical qualities and this is a "boys" type of industry, I really don't know how this happened!

This is not the first time that I've been overlooked (read completely ignored!) for positions that have "Director"or "VP" as part of the title. It's kind of disconcerting.

I asked someone in the organization to give me their thoughts on why I keep getting NOTHING!

She responded by telling me that it was my approach. That I had never approached the people in the organization with the plan that I had for my career.

In retrospect, she's probably right! Here, in my position, I've always provided great ideas on how I think things could be improved, changed etc. I've always approached my concerns with a solution at hand. I do my job very well and it is recognized that I do it well by the fact that I manage some of the largest accounts our wonderful company has. When it comes down to it...I wouldn't have wanted my new bosses job! BUT, I don't know why I wasn't asked!

I love my job! I just need to know how to carve out my perfect little piece of heaven right here within this organization. I want to be acknowledged by more than a pat on the back and a paycheck. I need to feel respected and I would have liked the first right of refusal on that position. I think that's what has got me feeling unappreciated. I don't think I was ever considered for the position and frankly....I didn't think I needed to hang the flashing neon sign above my desk that says "Linda has ambitions!".

So let's hear it...what would you do? How would you approach this type of thing?

4 Comments:

Blogger Aimee said...

If I didn't know how much you love your job, I would say "start looking for another job!!" But I know you like what you do.

So...tell them. Give them a good talking to about how important you are, and let them know that you want to move on to bigger and better things just like everyone else. Let them know that "Director" should be your new title, and they should start working on making it happen. I can think of at least a few "Director"s in your company who don't deserve it neraly as much as you.

Ask them straight up..."Am I ever going to advance with this company, cause if not I think I should start looking for a company who will appreciate my wicked work skills" Maybe in different words...haha

9:07 am  
Blogger Colleen said...

Tell them to smarten the fuck up!!!

OR...bring that loud, abnoxious guy to pool again, have a contract drafted with your promotion and salary all ready with your terms, and tell him to sign on the dotted line!!!

9:53 am  
Blogger Beware: Social Worker on the edge said...

I agree with Aimee,
Play their game. Develop an FCAP (fuckoff Career Action Plan) Call a meeting and invite all that have accused you of not having an "approach", wear your best suit and give them what they asked for.
Let them know exactly what you love about your current position, but what you love even more about a senior position.

What that woman gave you was a verbal face-to-face PFO. Next time if they pass you by you have a leg to stand on. You delivered your intent and you deserve consideration in the future.

Good luck to you hon and if all else fails...go with Colleen's suggestion...he is special!

11:41 am  
Blogger B said...

I agree w/ the daughter. Go in to the big bosses and tell them you want more, and see what happens.

10:55 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home